Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Games I play

a) Hide and Seek

Names I use interchangeably for this game
a) Peek-a-boo
b) Chuppa-Chuppi
c) Guddu Kahan Hai?


All I understand of this game is seeing the person and screeching and laughing loudly and then running in the opposite direction
I often tell Mamma to hide saying Mamma chuppo and if I can't find her by just running behind her I just stand making the hand gesture and saying Mamma Kahan hai
and then Mamma calls out and I find her and I feel extremely thrilled and sometimes say phir se and at other times I say "Guddu Chuppega" and run and then wait if Mamma is not right behind me- I basically want her to know where I am going right?
I mean what if she cannot find me ! And if Mamma pretends to be searching for me high and low though I am right in front of her - I promptly tell her "Guddu Ye raha !". I love this game. Its all abt screaming and laughing..right?


b)Catch Catch

Names I use
a) Catch
b) Pakado

Well I dunno why this is called by a different name -isn't is smthng similar to the peek-a-boo?I mean its similar with all the running and laugther and screaming
I love catching Arnav, Aarohi and Arsh. I guess Arnavs too fast for me so I often just give up!Off late I have figured that in the building lobby where mamma papa often run around the area to play with me, I can actually catch them faster if I run in the opposite direction
Its great fun to do this- I mean I have figured that what goes round comes round !! And shh... its much easier - that way they do all the running and I catch them easily !


c)Lip reading:
Also sometimes play a modified form called Secret!
Basically Mama tries to say smthng silently and I try to read what she is trying to say... Its good fun and I mostly figure out all familar words - sometimes I guess very quickly from the context! I mean if Mamma says "Atthai" then I am almost sure she will say Chennai next so sometimes even without seeing her lips I say Chennai !!
I love it better when Mamma murmurs in my ears . Its so ticklish and so damn funny !!I dunno yet how to tell a secret in the ear but because I know its a murmur - I often murmur meaninglessly !Mamma also uses these games when i read a book and tries to tell me what the picture is when I am unsure or guess incorrectly !


d) Pretend Play
This is smthng I really love !Gives me a chance to be in control of things and behave adultlike and ape the elders.
I make "Bhaiya" ( the ragged doll - why do we kids love the oldest and the most ragged of the dolls) sleep, make him clap hands, walk, jump,sit on a chair, do potty, scold him etc! I try changing his clothes also occasionally. I am often so involved in pretend play that I would rather say "Bhaiya ko susu aaa raha hai" when I would like to go or "Bhaiya ko Paani de do !"


e) Bat Ball

I can play this with just about anything - and in any manner. It all started when nanu nani got me the first bat ball. I then decided it was more fun to play bat ball by swapping ... so the minute i meet utsa or arshu, we swap bats and balls. Slowly I figured out that one can actually hit the ball wit the bat (was that supposed to be what bat and ball are meant for). Of course each kid has to play with a one ball and one bat- we do not play cricket like the way elders do - so no concept of some one throwing ball and other person hitting etc .We just throw it ourselves and then sweep it away just the way the jhadoo does. More often we all just carry our bat and ball and run behind someone else !
Now the second part of the fun starts - i play bat ball with the rolling pin and a small ball, with spoon and mustart seed / black pepper, with balloon stick and plastic pieces of other toys, with play-dough ball etc. etc.
Also mamma does not seem to understand how to hold the bat when I improvise on what the bat is- Mommy the broader part is the right side down and the other narrower portion to held !I often have to correct Mamma by saying Mamma Ulta - seedha Karo !


f) Slide/See Saw/Swing

I like swinging - the first few times, i couldnt sit, and fell off two three times. Then suddenly one fine day, i started sitting in swing myself. I sometimes ask mummy or pappa to sit and seat me on their lap, and swing me ... And sliding is some fun, provided someone puts me on top. Mummy pappa are making me climb the slide steps - i can do that, but the question is why , why should i put so much effort going up only to fall down the slide ...


g) Play dough

Names I use
a) dosa

I love pinching out little pieces and pretending I am making something !I also try to press it against the moulds and say ye dekho kya banaya ! Bunny or whatever .. But mostly I make my parents do the hard work of making something and let me tell you that they are pretty sad at it and they stick to the moulds instead of trying anything different or creative !

h) Imitation - the monkey ( and parrot business)

Well I love to repeat anything and everything irrespective of whether it makes any sense or not to me ! Also I love making faces that different folks make - I have a face a week that I pick and choose that I keep going for the week, making my parents a tad worried abt whether somethings amiss with my lips/eyes/nose etc !! I love the look on their face say when I pout or make a silly face !
Also I love remembering some characteristic sound/face/statement by various people and then keep repeating it oodd occasions ( like middle of the night /middle of lunch or any random time with no context) - saying"Pappu Uncle kaise kare hain" and then doing the action/sound/statement associated with that person. If I go wrong I correct myself saying " Sorry Pappu uncle nahin Sunaina aunty karti hain " or some such amazing statement !

Remember - Imitation is the best form of flattery !
i) Dandiya

I like playing the dandiya - basically twirling a stick of any dimension, and hitting it on some other stick of someone ... So i exchange bats and beat arshu's bat .. or i just beat two ladles in the kitchen ... calling out "dandiyaa re thathaa dandiyaa re"
I often use my bat/spoon etc for dandiya ! I have taught arshu also this and we often play this variation of using the bat instead of cricket or any such mundane stuff that adults try to teach us

1 comment:

Kowsalya Subramanian said...

Hey.. this one made me laugh.. you write so well that I felt as if I was there in the house and watching all the games of Gabdu :)