Wednesday, March 08, 2006

She Did it !!

Dear Ludlums,
This is what I told your dad when you pooped after a days gap way back when you were abt 3 months old. We never knew that poop could generate so much excitement for parents. You had not pooped for a whole day when u would normally poop like anywhere between 6 to 8 times and when you did not do "IT" the whole day it was really worrying. The doctor told us it was very normal for a baby to not pass stools for abt 5 days and it was of any concern only if they went beyond that. However, we could not bring ourselves to think that you wud be comfortable not having pooped the whole day .You seemed troubled. I am sure we imagined it because you cried all the time anyways but on that day we conveniently attributed it to you not having pooped. So as Nana Nani left for work they prayed that you would have motions and wished me all the best. I checked your nappy hopefully for even a hint of a dot everytime u became still or farted ... but no nthng happened (On any other day I would check your nappy nervously hoping "not another time please.." in the fear that I wud have to brush and wash another dirty nappy). Finally I put you down for a nap and went to have my lunch. I was away for 45 mins and you had still not cried .. It was amazing because your sleep span usually was 30 mins, so I tiptoed into the bedroom to check if everything was fine. I find you wide awake and smiling ... It was as if smthng was wrong.... so I just happened to check your nappy and wow !! guess what .. found that you had pooped ... Never understood why babies cry all the time and then smile when they are pooping (they pbbly find it funny that mommy needs to do extra laundry because of that ...). Anyways poop you did and I immediately called your papa and declared " She did it !!" and we were so happy. Later we wondered What kind of achievements of kids to parents celebrate ...There was happiness and celebration and relief the moment nana nani got back too
Amazing how the contents of the nappy of your child are so critical to us as parents. I never imagined I would be counting the number of times you piddle and poop and checking the color,odor and consistency ( yes you heard it right) of your poop and feel excited, happy, sad , concerned based on that. I mean even today when I get home I check, has she done potty.. how was it .. was it good ( ohmigod ! whats so good abt potty !!!), what was the color ..was it a good qty and so on ...
Its funny how life changes suddenly with a kid ..and things that never concerned you or crossed your mind become so critical ...
Oh and yes ... it was raining till you were abt 4 months old wherever we went ... so it eons for nappies to dry .. so guess what papa would do .. dry your nappies with the iron . Then we found ironing does not seem to remove moisture.. so we started using the hair dryer ... !!! Talk abt innovation ...
Hmm ...and Nani wud "SSSSSS" you with your feet over a dust pan to get you to potty without dirtying a nappy and you would ensure you pottied right next to it dirtying the dust pan and the floor and sometimes the walls too...I would run with you to the wash basin to get you to pee and you wud always ensure my happiness of having saved a nappy was shortlived by not emptying your bladder completely and then bringing out the residual amt on mommy or in the nappy immediately .. The rebel that you've always been !
The countless times that mommy and nana have tried to protect their shoulder with a layer of cloth to ensure their clothes don't get soiled .. you wud choose the time when we shift you from one shoulder to another to not only pee but also poop !! It was like a revenge against prevention ...:)
Anyways this is to tell you abt the most exciting bits of parenthood :)
LuvMama

No comments: